Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Off-The Peg Cross bikes for big guys? No way!

BigMac responds to a question about "off-the-peg" cross frames for big boys. Do they exist?

William

********************************************************

BigMac :

Are you not the young lad in the 260lb range? If so, why would you even consider off-the-peg frame? I do not know your riding experience but my personal experience suggests you are considerably too large and strong for ANY off-the-peg frame. At my relatively diminutive 230lbs, I have broken numerous frames, most custom built with my size/strength in mind. I once went on a demo ride using a team racing support bike that had just had the plastic wrap removed and been assembled by the mechanics yet the right cs snapped on the 3rd or 4th out of saddle stroke up a very mild incline, less than 5km's into ride...14 stitches later to my right shin I knew I shouldn't have ridden such a flyweight frame. I'm not suggesting you'll have similar results with all off-the-peg frames but I am suggesting there is likely not a single off-the-peg frame that will provide even 5k miles of service to someone your size w/o some structural failure. You can pay a few extra bucks now for a properly designed and sized frame or pay similar amount for the same after you've wasted $1000 on the off-the-peg frame that fails...and hopefully does not cause injury during failure.

As for sizing, I would focus more on ST angle and TT length rather than "frame size" which usually reflects ST length, a meaningless dimension imo. There is also a broad differentiation in defining "cyclo-cross" geometry. Many of the younger (mostly mtb influenced) builders consider a 'cross bike as an mtb w/700c wheels witnessed by high bb's, tall and slack front ends and sloping TT's. The more traditional approach is essentially a 70's racing bike geometry with slightly longer stays for mud clearence and canti braze-ons. A typical example of former would be from IF or Brent Steelman. I know folks who use the Rivendell Atlantis for trail riding but unfortunately it's BB/chainstay design makes it a poor 'cross bike -- a major gaffe by Grant imo is widely splayed round cs's that prohibit usage of low q double cranks.

I would suggest you contact Tom Oswald who is located in relatively nearby western PA. He loves racing 'cross, builds nice lugged steel bikes w/o the foo-foo details that don't matter when you're bombing down narrow single track with rocks and mud pounding the underside of frame. I believe his frame pricing is similar to production frames like Atlantis. He can build a frame that will hold up under your considerable load -- at least longer than any production bike -- and hopefully the wait will not be excessive. Of course you could get a Legend 'cross bike as they are once again building canti-bossed frames but I suspect that is well beyond your intended budget.

Ride on!